What is better than a hot, steamy shower after a long day? The most obvious answer is a hot, steamy shower with another person! In celebration of Shower with a Friend Day, which is February 5, we wanted to share 9 ways you can conserve water and save money at the same time!
- Shorten your shower time by 2 minutes each day. Simply cut back your shower time by 2-3 minutes each day and you’ll save 150 gallons of water per month.
- Turn off the water while washing your hair. Give your water a break while you lather up your hair with shampoo and you can save 150 gallons of water per month.
- Schedule your local plumber to come to check for leaking faucets and showerheads at least once a year. One drip of water every second can add up to five gallons of (unused) water per day!
- Install a WaterSense® labeled showerhead. By using a WaterSense showerhead, you can save 750 gallons of water a month! We can install one of these for you OR you can try it yourself first – they are typically inexpensive and easy to install.
- Don’t take daily baths. I love a hot bath more than the average person, but did you know a full bathtub usually requires 70 gallons of water?
- Use one glass for consuming beverages all day. You can cut back on the number of times you hand wash your dishes or run your dishwasher simply by refilling the same glass all day long.
- Shut off the water while brushing your teeth. You can save up to 2 gallons a minute, which is a savings of nearly 200 gallons of water PER week for a family of 4.
- Defrost your food in the refrigerator. For both water conserving and food safety reasons, don’t attempt unthawing your food by using water.
- Reduce the number of times you run your garbage disposal. You can save gallons of water by composting your vegetable waste instead of smashing the food in your garbage disposal. In general, you should be careful about the types of food you use in your garbage disposal.
Now it’s your time to share! How do you conserve water? Share your tips with us on social media @hopeplumbing. Even better? Snap a selfie while showering with a friend!
Keep your pictures PG-friendly by showering with a swimsuit on.
Editor Note: All of the tips for conversing water were found on Water Use it Wisely.